Labels

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The craft project that will never end....

For Bellas birthday, my wonderful cousins Curry & Anna gave her a finger puppet kit. We opened it last week to make a "few". Very quickly, I realized this finger puppet project was turning into a never ending adventure of creativity, education & FUN!  I don't know how to stop making them! One day, I needed 3 additional colors of felt to complete a few animals & asked my husband to grab 3 sheets of felt on his way home.... I ended up getting 2 packs of felt, equaling about 50 sheets! So its really HIS fault that I cant stop making them! hehe!

 During school each day (well we dont actually do school every day, I try tho!) Bella chooses a couple animals out of the finger puppet box to study. I have the most beautiful educational picture books called Aquarium Guide and Zoo Guide by Answers In Genesis. They have been so wonderful in learning the basics with a 4 year old! This is just a snap shot of what we do with each animal we learn about for that day. I think my octopus is my fave, hes so cute! ha! 

By night (when Dad comes home) we put on on puppet shows behind the fireplace screen! Blue blanket covers the fireplace screen if we are in the "aquarium" & green blanket cover if we are in the "zoo". This journey filled with felt has been such a delight and there is no end in sight and I am thrilled about this! It feeds my need for creating things with my hands, great tangible learning for Bella & tons of family fun! Even ours friends have gotten in on it with us, they came over the other night to watch a movie and we ended up making finger puppets! Gotta give props to Peter Hayes for the skunk & the lemur and to my husband for the shark!


OH! I forgot to say, we are also studying all the main animals in Finding Nemo. Nemo is one of the only movies that Bella will watch, which is fine by me! When we have learned all of them, we'll have a big movie night & watch Nemo! Excited about that!
Ocean creatures!







Land creatures!

3 comments:

curry said...

those are truly works of art! What a great teaching tool, you are a very creative teacher and mom. I love seeing how you creatively teach her and don't do school with worksheets and textbooks (at least for now!). Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to come see a puppet show:)

Joy said...

oh my gosh, i am SOOOO glad you posted this! i LOVE how you always make an adventure out of learning! it actually made ME want to read those books about each animal!!! i am SO serious right now! hahah! what a great way to learn! i didn't realize you guys did puppet shows every night! that is AWESOME!! love you guys and SO happy to be a part of the "finger puppet" extravaganza!

Joy said...

oh my gosh, i am SOOOO glad you posted this! i LOVE how you always make an adventure out of learning! it actually made ME want to read those books about each animal!!! i am SO serious right now! hahah! what a great way to learn! i didn't realize you guys did puppet shows every night! that is AWESOME!! love you guys and SO happy to be a part of the "finger puppet" extravaganza!